Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lotsa trash, no rain

Well, yesterday afternoon, I went to begin cleaning our adopted stretch of highway. It's on TX127, beginning just a short distance east of the Frio, continuing 2 miles towards Sabinal. I was overly optimistic when leaving the truck with ten bags stuffed in my back pockets. About 3 hours later, I tied the top of the 2nd full bag. It's not that there isn't much trash, because there's plenty. And it's not that I was loafing...really! It's because the trash left behind by the thoughtless, the uncaring, & the ________(you can fill this in), is sooo plentiful, scattered, and small.


Tony & Alex from TXDot doing a fine job of installing the Adopt-A-Highways signs


There were beer & soda water cans, BEER BOTTLES, plastic bottles, ice bags, deer corn bags, lotto tickets, inner tubes, magnetic signs, boards, Buc-ee's cups, Wal-Mart bags, HEB bags, straws, miscellaneous bags, hubcaps, tire strips, deer bones, antique trash, and one live armadillo!

The worst were the plastic bags and the Styrofoam cups. The sun rots them fast, so they become brittle and multiply. The best was the magnum armadillo that scared the bejeepers out of me.
Armed only with a short stick with a rusty nail attached to the end of it, I was in thick brush along the fence line pulling out debris. Traffic was light, the birds were singing...a real serene setting. All of a sudden, this big boy explodes out of the chaparral. It was over quickly. I jumped back 10 feet in a leap(maybe 3), and he took off the other way. I laughed at myself, dusted my britches, and continued.

The next interruption was okay, a friend stopped beside the hwy to visit. Then a friend of his, and then another friend of ours. Beings there were four pickups parked willy nilly on the side of the road, one traveler slowed down, thinking there had been an accident.
After a short while, I had to get back to the chore at hand. 2 miles of hwy X 2 sides = 4 miles, and I had only covered about 300 yards. Before I left good company, I offered Michael, Travis, & Jason vests & an invitation to join me, but they politely declined. (Just kiddin guys).

Bout 6pm, I called it a day. I went back and got the truck, loaded the junk, and deposited it beside the AAH sign for the TXDot guys to pick up. That reminds me, I better call them.

Everybody, please remember: DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!
Keep our highways clean, wherever you travel or live.

Be back soon. FrioMan
www.FrioMan.com
830-232-4210
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=122877270011

No comments: